Category Buyer / Manager
- Location: Hengelo, Netherlands, 7554 RR
- Posted Date 05/17/2023
- Job Id R0216134
- Full time
- Category Procurement
About the team
We are part of the Thales Netherlands Procurement team that consists of several Procurement Segments. You will be working in the Electronics Segment for all locations in the Netherlands together with five other Category Buyers / Managers and your main base will be Hengelo.
Being responsible for a Procurement Category you will be also part of Global Category Team to align with the interest of the Thales Group, share best practices and be part of the Global strategy definition. Since the Electronics Segment is also organized globally you also can be working for other Thales entities within the world.
In order to draft a strategy and manage the procurement category, the supplier base and execute new product introductions you will take the leadership in a multidisciplinary Category Technology Team with an Procurement Part Engineering Specialist, Industrial Architect and with the support from a Supplier Quality Manager and Supplier Performance Manager.
Our procurement mission? Connect the world and its innovation to Thales. We strive to become the trusted partner in value creation to the Thales business and development needs. Therefore, we build strong supplier relationships by bringing sustainability, innovative solutions, competitive advantages and operational excellence.
As a high-tech system integrator and system designer, the company focuses on high level of outsourcing and integration of its supply chain to secure long-term supply. With purchased goods making up to 80 percent of total manufacturing costs and considering the challenging market conditions of shortages and inflation it’s safe to say that the procurement department and its supplier network is of strategic importance to Thales Nederland.
About your future job
Your work as a Category Buyer or Manager (depending on the level of experience) is quite varied and consists traditional procurement activities to ensure our competitiveness, accomplish high-end engineering projects and production of parts at our suppliers and manage internal and external stakeholders to ensure decision making. From category perspective, you are responsible with the Electronics Segment and you can be responsible for PCB, PCBA, RF Microwave modules, components (such as processors, FPGA, connectors) for our radar-, communication- and command & control systems. Currently we have a need for someone that preferable has experience in managing new product introductions of PCBAs towards EMS suppliers.
A passion for technology and preferably knowledge in the technical domain is key since you will be responsible for electronical solution for our high-end radar systems that vary from the size of a flat screen TV towards long range radar that has a size of 8x4x4 meters and is on board of an aircraft carrier and therefore should operate in the challenging environmental condition of temperature, shock and vibration.
The main tasks are:
- Shape, communicate and steer implementation of the Category strategy;
- Drive selection, negotiation and contracting of suppliers;
- Manage, control and develop supplier performances together with the multidisciplinary team;
- Identify and achieve cost reductions and improvements in cooperation with the suppliers and stakeholders;
- Manage risks, opportunities and overall execution for new product introductions based on build-to-print up to build-to-specification.
Why you’d be a good match
We are looking for a colleague who preferably has a master’s degree in a technical area (such as Technology Management, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering & Management) preferably complemented with business and project management experience or a degree in business administration (such as Purchasing and Supply Management, Economics) with a proven passion for technology and track record in the high-tech industry.
It is of great importance for a successful Category Buyer to possess soft skills such as networking skills, complex problem solving, proactivity, result-driven, conflict-resolution, creativity, persuasion, curiosity and an pragmatic attitude that can deal with ambiguity. These soft skills are a necessary condition to perform well in hard skills as supplier relationship management, innovation management, analytical skills, process and project management and personnel leadership skills.
What’s in it for you
- A challenging job in a great team within our high-tech, innovative work environment. Includes the freedom for initiative and good ideas;
- Room for personal and professional growth within our organization, for example in regards to procurement (e.g. courses and certification from the European Institute of Purchasing Management), technical, commercial or soft skills;
- Valuable international collaboration with coworkers from 68 different countries around the globe;
- A comfortable work space in a modern environment, with a focus on flexibility and the right work life balance;
- You can usually work where and when you want to be able to do your work as well and efficiently as possible. Within Thales we implement hybrid working, where you can, for example, work from home two days a week if your role allows it;
- A good salary and the ability to personalize your employment conditions: for instance, you can trade days off for internet costs, our bicycle plan, company fitness and relocation costs;
- 40 days off per year (PTO). Yes, really
Questions? Reach out for more information to our Talent Acquisition Partner Gerlof Jan Heck, via email@example.com or +31 (0) 638697390. Or apply now! Click on the button below to upload your profile and show your interest through our own website.