- Location: Rotterdam, NL, 3013 AA
- Req ID: 77465
- Facility: Rotterdam-548
- Department: Utilities & Facilities EAI
- Division: Global Business Services
This is LyondellBasell
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world’s largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2021, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine’s list of the “World’s Most Admired Companies” for the fourth consecutive year.
This is the role
Our manufacturing sites all depend on energy, from steam to electricity, as well as on industrial gases and water. What is the effect of the energy transition in Europe and how does this influence for example renewables and CO2 reduction? Does this change our sourcing strategy? Which suppliers are future proof and which negotiation strategy is going to be the most effective and, in the end, how do we prepare the end-users to for example a supplier change? Questions we must ask ourselves daily, and that’s where you come in.
As a Category Manager at LyondellBasell you are responsible for all reliable utility supplies a manufacturing site needs to operate. Your will be the linking pin between the company’s long-term vision and the dynamic energy markets. You focus on the sites in Europe ensuring the development and/or deployment of strategic purchasing plans of utilities.
You will get a lot of freedom being responsible for the entire sourcing process regarding your specialism. From strategic to operational activities, from negotiating to operationally implementing, maintaining and evaluating the quality of the purchase, sales and infrastructure contracts. So, on one hand you will be busy with long term utility solutions advising the business pro-actively. On the other hand, you will bring your advice in practice on a tactical as well as an operational level aligning all stakeholders during the process.
A complex high visibility role with a lot of growth perspective where you can stretch yourself and set the foundation for a further career!
- Understand and interpret financial and macro/micro economic information/data from the market and from both LYB and suppliers to be able to devise ways to deliver value to the company employing different levers
- Develop category strategies in context of rapidly developing EU political landscape and climate ambitions
- Develop and lead strategic long term supplier relationships and drive supplier innovation
- Strategic Sourcing. Creating value in a largely single-supply or monopolistic supply environment. Develop alternatives (e.g. own-build) which require complex and resource intensive internal cross functional projects
- Understand and apply segment strategies of all utility segments with autonomy
- Understand and drive consensus on the sometimes conflicting needs of internal stakeholders (site manager, business directors)
- Develop complex should cost models and financial metrics based on competitive intelligence of supplier assets and business strategies
- Lead negotiations on multiple levels (up to sr leadership)
This is who you are
As a Category Manager at LyondellBasell you are interactive, analytical and you know how to connect with people on all levels keeping your stakeholders aligned. With your well-developed interpersonal skills and business acumen you are an excellent negotiator and you love to make decisions based on facts. Being a networker by nature you know how to influence people in a positive way.
This is what you bring
- Master’s degree in (Electrical, Chemical, Mechanical) Engineering and/or Business Economics
- Minimum 10 years’ experience required in chemical or related industry combined with purchasing and materials management strategy / contract management
- Strong technical affinity
- Fluent in English language (speaking and writing). Another European country language preferred.
- Proven track record of commercial skills with the capability to negotiate the best deal for the company considering the balance of short/long term, cost, complexity and risks
- Understands Cultural differences and how to develop and implement results at different regional environments, markets, conditions, laws and legislations across Europe
- Good knowledge of Microsoft applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of applications such as SAP, Ariba etc. to manage the supply contracts
- Customer Focus – able to understand the needs of the (internal) customers and to translate these in the best sourcing strategies
- Drive for results and desire to achieve ‘the best’ – get things done, sense of urgency
- Excellent communication skills, as well orally as in writing – able to influence, communicate and present to senior management – business as well as manufacturing.
- Problem solving and decision making – provide the right analysis, develop should cost models, assess different supply options and substantiate proposed solutions with numbers if needed. Propose and decide on path forward
- Ability to convert details to strategy – able to see the bigger picture, look beyond the contract itself
- Mature, independent worker and critical. Team player yet not afraid to speak up
This is what we offer
We offer an environment where we encourage personal and professional growth and where you will be rewarded for your performance and results. You will have the possibility to work with specialist on all fields to develop innovative solutions and to extend your national and international network. In addition, we offer you a competitive salary package.
The Company’s Global Remote Work Policy allows eligible employees the option to work up to two days a week from home.
LyondellBasell is committed to advancing diversity, equity & inclusion (DEI) to ensure a positive experience for all employees.
Please feel free to connect with Ton Brands, Corporate recruiter ton.brands @ lyondellbasell.com for more details. Would you like to apply? Just send us your motivation and resume via the button below.