As Packaging Buyer for the Paper category you are in charge of your category. You are responsible for guaranteeing supply to the factories, cost optimization and strategy definition/implementation. You maintain supplier relationships, and follow-up on market information/trends, innovation, and sustainability. You report to the Purchasing Manager Packaging.
Your key responsibilities and challenges are:
- You are responsible for the paper category. This represents a yearly spend of roughly 40m€, with main focus on corrugated board, paper bags and solid board. You are responsible for the paper supply to 28 production plants spread over Europe.
- You source packaging material at the best “Total Cost of Ownership” within the requested timing and according to agreed quality criteria / technical specifications. You are able to run tenders and negotiations independently.
- You develop a purchasing strategy for your packaging category according to the Business Strategy considering cost, production, quality, supply and availability, risk,… You are responsible for the implementation of the strategy.
- You are proficient in spend analysis and reporting.
- You establish a sustainable relation and regular contacts with your key suppliers (performance evaluation, vendor objectives, cost reductions, innovations, complaints,…). You take the lead towards suppliers in case of structural/major complaints, claims, corrective measures,…
- You contract packaging material with Framework Agreements / Terms & Conditions in cooperation with Legal.
- You work very closely with R&D packaging. You are member of project teams or you are the project manager for those projects which are assigned to you.
- You follow up and report about market trends, raw material evolutions, contacts with new potential suppliers, sustainability and innovations.
- You are responsible for making and following up on the Paper budget.
- You support the sites with regard to operational problems such as delivery/lead time problems, supplier capacity problems, quality complaints,… The daily operational procurements activities (purchase orders, good receipts, …) are the responsibility of the local procurement employees in the production sites.
- You supervise the development of new packaging designs in web center.
- You take care of SAP related purchase administration.
- You hold a Master degree (Economics, Business Engineer, Engineer).
- You have at least 3 years of experience in a strategic procurement role.
- You can work independently as category lead.
- You take ownership over strategic and operational tasks.
- You can work cross functionally.
- Your excellent communication and persuasion skills enable you to motivate, drive and engage your internal and external stakeholders. (R&D, production, purchase, logistics, master data,…)
- You are proactive and stress resistant.
- You are a pragmatic problem solver.
- You have a high level of project management skills.
- You are a team player.
- You were able to train your negotiation skills in your previous role(s).
- You have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, written and verbally, in English (which is the company language) and French (due to the many contacts with the plants in France). Dutch is an asset.
- Knowledge of SAP is a plus.
- You are willing to travel 15% of your time (short European trips and fairs).
- For this exciting role you will be working at our HQ based in Ghent, Belgium.
What’s in for you?
We offer you challenging work with a great purpose in an international company having a dynamic, driven and ambitious culture and a collegial atmosphere. With headquarters based in Belgium, you will have a real impact on the business. You will get all chances to grow within a people oriented and value driven environment, where cooperation, respect and ambition are key. You will receive an attractive salary and will enjoy all fitting extralegal advantages.